District 1 Minutes February 11 2018

Joan opened the meeting with the serenity prayer and general service preamble at 10:15 AM at the Lost and Found in Boulder City.

Attendance: Joan R., Dean H., Joseph R., Kathleen B., Jake S., Mattie M., Liz F., Vito L., Diana M., Kerri L., Paul S., Bob V.

I.               Minutes: The January minutes were approved.

II.            Treasurer’s Report (Dee): Since Erin has moved, Dee stepped up from Alternate Treasurer to Treasurer. Dee was unable to attend but sent the treasurer’s report (below). Joan said that there are still issues with Wells Fargo. She will meet with Dee to try to figure it out. We might switch to another bank in spite of the fact that Wells Fargo conveniently has lots of branches.


Checking Account Balance as of last meeting on 1/14/18
Contributions  $27.23
Current Balances  $958.74
Pending Deposits $27.23 and 09/09/17 $24.00 (Contributions received)

Savings Account Balance as of last meeting on 1/14/18    $503.83
Interest Earned     $0.02
Current Balance     $503.85

Balance reconciled with Wells Fargo Account summaries on 1/10/18. (details available upon request).

III.           Committee Reports:

A.            Picnic (Kerri): The building (“Girl Scout Building” in Boulder City) is reserved for October 13, 2018 from 10 AM to 4 PM. Last picnic there two were issues: the sprinklers went on during the picnic and the picnic was too long. A motion to change the time to 12 PM to 4 PM was approved unanimously. The speaker will be at 3 PM. Kerri will check about sprinkler timing. Last year it was in the AM, so hopefully the noon start will solve both problems.

B.            Workshops (Kathleen): The Rule 62 workshop is posted on the website for April 7. Kathleen had some good communication with Vickie. We still need a location and should have it set by PRAASA. The church on Green Valley & Robindale was booked but they were very nice & it’s a great location and we should consider it for next time. Will look at Bob’s church. Still need ideas for the workshop. We might start with an intro about Rule 62. Should have some entertainment….music – Bob? Libby will bring flyers to PRAASA and Tonopah.

C.            Archives (Kristy): Absent, no report.

D.            H&I (Mattie): Mattie attended the H&I meeting.

·     There is a new institution called Nevada Behavioral Health.

·     There is an H&I workshop on April 24 from 2 PM to 4 PM at the Triangle Club.

·     Please announce to your groups that H&I is looking for volunteers for the following H&I panel meetings: 7 Hills Tuesday Evening (Contact is Phil C), Catholic Charities (No contact available) and Thurs & Sat meetings (Contact is Deena). Also, announce that H&I meetings are not regular AA meetings. H&I meeting participants are part of a panel and must coordinate with and follow the directions of their H&I meeting contact person. There have been incidents involving AA members who just showed up and did their own meeting. This caused problems, so please emphasize to your groups that they should never just go to an H&I meeting without getting permission and instructions from the contact person! In addition, some institutions require background checks or medical clearance, which can take up to 5 months. Give your groups Mattie’s number as the contact person to explain this and also to put volunteers in touch with the appropriate H&I meeting contact person.

E.             Grapevine (Liz): Liz was unable to attend the January meeting. No report.

F.             Hotline (Bobby):  Bobby was absent, so no report. Mattie took the next District One Hotline spot, but there are still some months open (July, Sept, Oct, Nov). Billy and Libby are contacts for the Hotline. Liz will send Hotline Info to all via group email.

G.            PI/CPC (Janey): Absent, no report.

H.            Intergroup (Jake): Jake attended the Intergroup meeting and reports the following:

·     Today (Feb 11) there is a service festival at the T.I.E. Club at 1:30 PM.

·     The SAGSC Chili Cook Off is February 17that 1PM at 8200 West Sahara. There is a $5 donation at the door. Chair is James K.

·     The Spanish Women’s Meeting has moved to Central Office Wednesday 6PM to 7:30 PM. Chair is Sylvia. Meeting needs support! You don’t have to speak Spanish to go!

·     The Sober Fun Bus has been cancelled because there were not enough people signed up.

·     Harry is the new Bridging the Gap chair.

·     Roundtables are on Feb 25 at 1PM at the T.I.E. Club. Joan will send the list of topics via group email.

·     PRAASA is March 2 to 4 in Sparks, NV. For funding, see Chuck (SAGSC Treasurer).

·     ARCHIVES: Money was approved to build shelves. Jake will bring Archives materials to PRAASA.

·     District 5B is doing a prayer and meditation workshop at KCB on April 14 from 2PM to 4PM.

·     Tri-State Round Up is May 17 to 20 in Laughlin. On Friday at 3PM Charlie H will be speaking.

·     You can sign up for Silver Streak on line. There is a new “Meeting Spotlight” piece in every issue.

I.              Accessibilities (Mattie): Mattie is the new District One Accessibilities Chair. She is also the Area Accessibilities chair. Accessibilities meets the 4thMonday at central Office at 5:30 PM. Accessibilities now has “Meetings to Go,” which brings meetings to people who cannot get out (from home, hospital, etc.) to a meeting. The Meetings to Go chair is Darryl.

IV.          Old Business

A.            District One Proposal (Joan): Please ask your groups for feedback. Eg., What kind of Apps do you use? Would you use this App? Please make clear to groups that the money at this point should not be a consideration. If the idea makes it to the GSO, they will decide if it is doable money-wise.

B.            GSR Outreach (Joan):  Joan continues to do GSR outreach. She went to the Light on the Hill meeting (Women’s Monday 6:30 PM on Robindale). She was able to connect with the group treasurer.

V.            New Business

A.             District One Contact List: Many people would like a contact list for the District. Liz will send one out (with name, group and positions, phone number, email).

B.            Position changes:  Beginning today, Mattie will be the Accessibilities Chair and Alternate H&I liaison. Bob will be the H&I liaison.